What to Do If Your Dog Swallows Something Toxic?

What to Do If Your Dog Swallows Something Toxic?

As a pet owner, the safety and wellbeing of your furry friend are always a top priority. But, despite our best efforts to keep them out of harm's way, accidents can still happen. One common and potentially dangerous situation is when your dog swallows something toxic. In this blog, we will discuss how to identify toxic substances, recognize the signs of poisoning, and take immediate action to ensure the best outcome for your beloved pet.

Identifying Toxic Substances:

Many household items and foods can be toxic to dogs. Some of the most common culprits include:

  1. Foods: chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, xylitol (found in sugar-free products), and caffeine.
  2. Plants: lilies, azaleas, rhododendrons, sago palms, and oleander.
  3. Household products: cleaning agents, antifreeze, rat poison, and medications (both human and veterinary).

Remember, even if something is safe for humans, it may not be safe for your dog. Always exercise caution and store potentially toxic items out of reach.

Recognizing the Signs of Poisoning:

If your dog swallows something toxic, they may exhibit various symptoms, depending on the substance ingested. These can include:

  1. Gastrointestinal signs: vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain.
  2. Neurological signs: seizures, tremors, weakness, unsteady gait, and disorientation.
  3. Respiratory signs: coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing, and rapid or shallow breathing.
  4. Cardiovascular signs: irregular heartbeat, pale gums, and collapse.

If you notice any of these symptoms, it's essential to act quickly, as early intervention can make a significant difference in the outcome.

Immediate Actions to Take:

If you suspect your dog has swallowed something toxic, follow these steps:

  1. Remain calm: As a pet owner, your first instinct may be to panic. However, staying calm and collected will help you think clearly and make the best decisions for your dog's wellbeing.

  2. Gather information: If possible, identify the toxic substance your dog ingested. Take note of the amount, the time it was consumed, and any packaging or labels. This information will be crucial for the veterinarian to determine the appropriate course of action.

  3. Call your veterinarian or an emergency animal clinic: Before rushing your dog to the vet, give them a call. They can provide immediate guidance and may instruct you to induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal, depending on the situation. However, never attempt these treatments without consulting a professional first.

  4. Do not give any home remedies: It may be tempting to search for home remedies online, but this can be dangerous. Some remedies may worsen the situation or even cause additional harm. Always consult your veterinarian before administering any treatment.

  5. Transport your dog to the veterinarian: If your vet instructs you to bring your dog in, do so promptly. Time is of the essence in poisoning cases, and delays can lead to severe complications or even death.

Preventing Future Incidents:

To prevent future occurrences of poisoning, take the following precautions:

  1. Dog-proof your home: Secure all potentially toxic substances in cabinets or on high shelves, away from your dog's reach. Additionally, keep an eye on your dog when they're exploring, as they may find clever ways to access these items.

  2. Train your dog: Teach your dog the "leave it" command to prevent them from consuming harmful objects or substances.

  3. Keep your yard safe: Regularly inspect your yard for toxic plants or other hazards. If you're unsure about a plant's safety, consult with a veterinarian or a professional gardener.

  1. Educate yourself: Stay informed about common toxins and their potential effects on your dog. Awareness is key to prevention.

  2. Inform others: Make sure all family members and visitors are aware of the dangers certain substances pose to your dog. This can help prevent accidents and ensure everyone is vigilant in keeping your pet safe.


As pet owners, it's our responsibility to protect our dogs from harm. By taking the necessary precautions and being prepared in case of an emergency, we can help ensure the safety and wellbeing of our beloved pets. If your dog does swallow something toxic, remember to remain calm, gather information, and consult your veterinarian immediately. With quick action and proper care, your furry friend has the best chance of making a full recovery.

Back to blog

Leave a comment